Monday, July 7, 2008

Hawaii part 1: Aloha!

Actual IM conversation, June 23, around 9:30 AM:

Brian: so Alice is in hawaii for work, and I didn't go.
Tom: bonehead.

So it took me about a day to realize I was an idiot, but with some help from friends like Tom, the realization finally occurred and I bought a ticket to Honolulu.

Here was the view from our hotel on Waikiki beach:
And here's me with my smuggest "I'm in Hawaii and you're not" pose:

Alice was working, so I began the first day by myself. What better way to start the day than with the traditional Hawaiian breakfast from McDonald's:

That's right, SPAM, eggs, and rice! Hawaiians love their SPAM for some reason.

Fully nourished, I hiked to and then up Diamond Head, an extinct volcano on Oahu. It's not a long hike, but it's steep, and I kept up a pace that left me pretty exhausted at the summit. Here are some views from the top:



Went to the Waikiki Aquarium after the hike. Got to see some endangered monk seals and learn about several reef critters whose identification would surely come in handy later on in the trip. Had a sushi lunch after the aquarium and then just chilled out on the beach for the rest of the day. When Alice came home from work, we had fish tacos, tropical drinks, and ice cream pie at Duke's Canoe Club before going back to the hotel and passing out.

No comments: