Sunday, June 24, 2007

Nature Calls

The past few weeks have been a mix of relaxing, goofing off, hiking, bike riding, geocaching, and preparing for my cross country excursion. Oh, and a few days of "working" down at the reservation of course. And I've only fielded one work-related question from my former employer! Needless to say, it's been a blast; but now it's time to get going.

The game plan is simple: Head up to Acadia National Park in Maine, spend some time there, and then go west, hitting as many National Parks a possible along the way. Part of the adventure is in how little planning I'm doing, as I want the trip to be as spontaneous as possible.

(The other part of the adventure is that I have almost no idea what I'm doing. I've been living in a cube for the past decade and I haven't been camping since I was 8.)

I think I'm just about ready. I have a sleeping bag, tent, backpack, and various outdoor gear. I'm not exactly roughing it; I also have a laptop, cell phone and GPS. But just in case, I've been reading up on wilderness survival and catching up on Man vs Wild episodes. Yup, definitely ready.

1 comment:

Big Wall Nuts said...

ha... bear grylls is my hero too :) we looked for a flint at EMS but no luck. probably better off not starting fires out west anyway.

see you somewhere! -d&l