Thursday, August 9, 2007

Shenandoah

D'oh! A deer! A female deer!

I was about a half mile into my first hike at Shenandoah National Park, and I almost walked right into a deer. That's right, at Congaree, you walk into spiderwebs, but here, you walk into deer. I don't know whether the poor thing was blind, deaf, couldn't smell me, or a combination of the three, but it seemed almost oblivious to my presence. I could make noise, and talk to it, and it didn't really care; it just would occasionally perk its head up and look around, and usually in the opposite direction. Maybe they are that used to people here? Or maybe she was employing the "I'm so thin, no predator would eat me" defense.

Or maybe it was a cyborg deer. That's what I'd believe from the photos, anyway. In every pic I took that had the deer's eyes, they look like they're glowing white. Any of you photoshoppers out there know why this is? (and how to fix it?)


Shenandoah was a lot like the Smokies, but there were far fewer tourists, meaning less traffic and quieter trails. Even the mountains were "smoky":

I'd have a long way to go if I were hiking the Appalachian Trail, but as it is, I'm almost home! No more national parks between here and Vernon, CT.

6 comments:

Lisa M. Furbush said...

You're telling me DC is not considered a National Park?!

Tom said...

I think I'd refer to DC as more of a zoo than a park.

Tom said...

I wonder if "white eye" is the equivalent red eye in humans. . .they see in black and white anyways. . .

Elizabeth said...

What about the Delaware River Valley - isn't there a national park - maybe it is just a national forest - probably lots of people, etc., etc., etc. More waterfalls, and of course as you leave there is the NJ Obelisk - at the highest point in NJ - a monument to all the soldiers from NJ...

Card night soon! :-) Wine trailin' too!

Unknown said...

I doubt the problem was that the deer couldn't smell you. I can smell you from here.

Donna said...

Tom's right. At least for dog eyes, they always show up green. Different composition than human eye. Photoshop doesn't have a "green-eye" fix, but you could probably zoom way in, select the area, and just mess with the hue. If you print photos (laughable, I know) they do sell both red-eye corrector pens for people shots and green-eye corrector pens for animals. Or I imagine any pen could do the trick...