Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Cruise: Final thoughts

Many people have asked me my thoughts on the cruise, so here's a summary. Before I begin, though, I think I need to qualify this with a reminder that I've basically been on vacation for the last eight months. As such, I think it makes me a rather poorer judge of a vacation than those who spent the seven days at sea away from their desks, cell phones, computers, and Blackberries.

Despite some of the critiques that have appeared in this blog, I actually had a fantastic time (except for the tropical storm day.) It was great to spend so much time with friends, while being able to also enjoy time apart as necessary, thanks to the size of the ship.

The sourest note of the cruise was on the first day, when my camera broke. It really had become something of a travel crutch, as I've taken so many pictures with it since my travels began last June. I felt so helpless every time a photo opportunity was passed by, and that feeling just kept happening as the week progressed.

(photos courtesy of Dayong)

Most people are surprised to hear I was disappointed with the food on the cruise. But mediocre it was, almost universally. The buffet was what you'd probably expect: row upon row of huge, steam-heated stainless steel trays of overcooked fatty, over-salted paste. The restaurants were much better-- in ambiance at least. However, with a few exceptions, the food still had the taste, texture, and appearance of microwaved frozen dinners, on nice big white plates. Of course, it makes perfect sense in hindsight to mass-produce and freeze thousands of portions of boiled sides and over-sauteed entrees, and then forklift crateloads of them into the galley freezers while refueling each Sunday in Miami.

Despite my opinion of the food, the dinners themselves were always great fun, thanks to great companionship.

Drink prices were usurious, but that had the positive effect of limiting the amount we drank.

Would I do it again? I honestly don't know. I didn't think so at first, but while much of the cruise did not meet expectations, it really was a good time. Going with a group of friends made all the difference.

Anyway, I think that's all until the next adventure. Hope everybody had a good holiday! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would have just lent you my camera if I knew how you felt...I think I will go on cruise again but not for a while. I will definitely go with bunch of my friends, it makes huge difference. I like the part that you can enjoy time with your friends and don't have to worry about food and dishes on the cruise. When I looked back at this (my first) cruise experience, all I wanted to say is how lucky I am to be with my loved one and how wonderful it was to spend time with the friends you relly care about...