Saturday, June 11, 2011

Alaskan non-wilderness

There are two rental companies in Fairbanks (well, two with web presences at least) that rent SUVs suitable for driving on unpaved roads. One charges close to $200/day, and the other charges close to $100/day.

Unfortunately, the latter one did not have availability until 6/12, so I would spend the first day carless, in Fairbanks. No big deal. Woke up to a huge breakfast buffet, including biscuits with sausage gravy (it's not a southern thing, is it? It's a red state thing.) And no sense in not gorging myself now, as I will surely not be eating like a king over the next several days.

After a spending a few minutes figuring out the Fairbanks bus system, I managed to find a bus stop and subsequently end up in downtown Fairbanks. After a vain search for wi fi, I went to the Ice Museum, whose exhibits contain a video on ice carving, several sculptures to look at, and finally a live demonstration (would have never guessed it was all that judging from the outside of the building, which looked like a small abandoned urban movie theater.) Here is some ice:










Tomorrow I get my car and drive into the wild.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Fairbanks, AK

No comments: