Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mount Washington

So this is long overdue, but I think I should blog this before much more in Alaska. I probably don't recall enough specifics to make this narrative all that interesting, but I remember a few important points.

1. I think this was my most difficult hike ever. More difficult than my previous hikes in the Rockies, the Cascades, the deserts of Utah and California, the volcanoes of Hawaii, and the trail-less wilderness of Alaska.

2. I was extremely proud of Alice for completing this hike with me.









Just above treeline, spirits still high :)



Man, there's still a long way to go!



Tuckerman's Ravine



The last few steps up the summit cone.



Snow on the summit!



The damn Cog Railway



Mount Washington hotel in the background.



We did it!






It was necessary to add "by man" recently, as the highest wind speed ever recorded was recently broken. But by a machine. Got it? Yeah.



Lakes of the clouds... And their hut.









Somehow we made it all the way down. Oh yeah, the other thing I remember is that I had to walk another mile to get my damn car!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Mount Washington, New Hampshire

1 comment:

Dan said...

Nice job on Mt. Washington! That's a tough hike.