Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Republica Dominica, Day 1


The amount of sympathy I expect to receive if I complain about going to the Caribbean when it's 5 degrees in New England? Not a whole lot! So I'll leave out all commentary about the rain, and keep the focus positive.

Alice, Doug, John, Terri, and I landed in Puerto Plata after a pleasant, uneventful flight. After paying our "Welcome to the Dominican Republic, we like American Dollars" tax, we found Dayong and Ron and hopped into our taxi... for the MOST TERRIFYING CAB RIDE EVER.

Oh right, keep it positive. Well let's see. We made great time, thanks to our driver's excellent passing and weaving skills. We didn't kill anyone, thanks to our driver's honking skills and the excellent dodging skills of the scooters in our path. The trip was probably fuel-efficient, thanks to the tailgate drafting our driver was able to perform when not able to pass. And the guy by the side of the road with the machete? He was using it on goats, not on humans.

After a warm greeting at our resort, Alice and I passed out (we had woken up at 5:00 AM after all to make our flight.) We awoke for a buffet dinner that was much better than I expected it to be (I had low expectations!) and then our first dominos match, which I lost.

Oh, one last positive comment for the day: I tried the all-inclusive alcohols in our hotel mini-bar, and I could still see, my head didn't hurt that much, and I did not die.

More pics (and more positive comments) to come!

2 comments:

Dan said...

I can't wait to hear more positive comments about your trip!! Funniest. Post. Ever.

Tom said...

I thought it was the fact I was tired and reading this at 10:30pm . . .I couldn't even read it to Jenn without cracking up. . .