Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Color of Key Lime Pie

The Saint Joseph College Fall Season student-athlete awards ceremony took place earlier this week. In a way, this was a sad day for me, as it was the last stop in my rookie year as the assistant volleyball coach. That aside, I can't express how happy I am for the team, and how proud I am of their accomplishments this season. The girls worked so hard from pre-season to post-season, and while there were definitely some ups and downs, some injuries, and even a few tears along the way, I think that by any measure, the season can only be considered a success.

Where does this leave me? Well, it's almost time to hit the road again! Thanksgiving and volleyball in Tampa (aka, TurkeyBall), a road trip to Everglades and Biscayne National Parks, a Caribbean Cruise (which may even take me to Virgin Islands National Park), and then Christmas with my brother in Georgia.

And yes, a road trip means there will be blog updates :) So stay tuned!

Finally, what does all this have to do with the color of key lime pie?

Early this season, I was having dinner with the SJC volleyball team before a home game. The cafeteria was serving a mysterious dessert: a yellowish, custardy pie that tasted sort of like bad key lime pie. However, my suggestion of such was met with strange looks and a chorus of "Key lime pie is green, dumbass" (I am paraphrasing somewhat). Despite (or perhaps thanks to) my assertion that real key lime pie was in fact yellow, I was made the brunt of their taunts and jeers for the remainder of the dinner. This was exacerbated further by the fact that the cafeteria staff referred to the dessert as "lemon custard pie" even though the only resemblance to lemons that this strangely flavored dessert bore was its unnaturally yellowish hue.

Anyway, fast forward to the previously mentioned awards ceremony. At the end, I was surprised and delighted to be presented with a thank you gift of a card and a key lime pie by the girls! I knew that, whatever the outcome, this was the perfect way to get back into blogging.


Here is the pie, in its container. Note the Key Lime logo is a rather brilliant artificial green color. I'm not sure what to think at this point. I am not familiar with "The Corner Bakery." The green logo here worries me somewhat, and makes me think that this place might artificially color their key lime filling, or maybe use normal green limes instead of yellow key limes.


The opened package. Can't really tell anything yet... will need to cut a piece out for definitive results.


That's looking pretty yellow to me! Wow, a lot of meringue though. Let's scrape it off and get a better look at the filling.


Key lime pie is yellow! QED.

PS. It's also delicious.

No comments: