Friday, November 30, 2007

Panhandle

I'm spending the night in Tallahassee. For those of you keeping score at home, you know that means I'm on my way back east.

As I hinted at yesterday, I spent the afternoon in New Orleans. As expected, I didn't find it to be the best place in the world to hang out by myself. Looks like a crazy town to visit with friends though; the French Quarter was full of people getting drunk in the street at 2:00 PM on a Thursday.

I accidentally drove through some rough areas, too... entire blocks of apparently abandoned houses, with groups of locals loitering on the street corners. Didn't look like the best place to get a flat tire. I also got yelled at by someone who ran a stop sign and almost hit me, though I didn't understand what he said other than the ubiquitous F bomb.

I headed back to Biloxi afterwards, deciding to drop in on the 1/2 no-limit game that I didn't get to play the day before. That turned out to be a good idea, as I made back most of my earlier losses and got comped another two meals (one of which was the grossest lunch buffet ever. I might need to write just about that in a separate post some day.)

Continued eastward this morning and made it to the Air Force Armament Museum, about 30 miles east of Pensacola, FL. THAT was cool! Inside are several exhibits, including small arms, large machine guns and cannons, missiles and small planes, trainers, and history. And outside, they have actual Air Force planes, such as:

The F-15:

And the B-52 (sorry, it's so big it doesn't all fit in the pic. 8 engines... gaaa) :

Looks like I might make it back to Tampa tomorrow.

1 comment:

ScottyC said...

Glad to see you got out of New Orleans unscathed. There sure are some pretty dicey neighborhoods!

You should have stopped by the Naval Aviation Museum too!

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/