Friday, November 23, 2007

TurkeyBall 2007 - Friday

We went to bed Thursday night thinking we'd try to get up early and go on a canoe trip before Feng's flight back to New York. Didn't happen. It was around 9:00 by the time I stumbled downstairs and I was the first person up.

Dayong and Ron took Feng to the airport that morning, and Doug and I decided to take the canoe trip anyway. It's the same one we did last year, down the Hillsborough River via Canoe Escape. We got to get up close and personal with lots of wildlife, including some baby alligators:

And some not-quite baby alligators:


Lots of other wildlife as well, including herons, comorants, turtles, and jumping fish.

When we got home, Ron was setting up the house for Dayong's birthday party, so we helped set up. There were even more people there that night than on Thanksgiving (including Amy and Brian, who flew in later that evening), and unfortunately, I can't remember all their names. But it was another great meal, this time, steaks and asparagus cooked on the grill. And I learned something very important about myself. Two of their friends brought over some homemade crab soup. Now, I've lived my life so far convinced that I'm allergic to crab, since it runs in my family, and because i sometimes get some mild allergy symptoms if I gorge myself on shellfish. So I initially declined the soup, but it smelled so good I had to taste it. And then I couldn't stop eating it... but neither the hives nor the anaphylactic shock arrived to ruin my evening. So I have been living with a phantom crab allergy, and now I can eat all the crab I want! (might have been better to learn this back when I was making lots of money, but oh well!)

Finished the night off with cake, of course, and then more wine, of course, and then plenty of college basketball.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Next time you're around, I'll have to treat you to my beer batter crab cakes. . .