Thursday, July 26, 2007

Arches

Ever wonder where the illustrators for the old Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote cartoons got their inspiration? Clearly, they've been to Arches National Park in Utah. Arches has arches, of course, but also some of the coolest "how the heck did that happen" eroded stone formations imaginable.




I actually did some rock climbing here! It was only about 15 feet, but for a non-wall nut like me with no climbing gear, it was fun, and not that difficult until I started wondering how I'd get back down. Most of the people below looked at me like I was crazy, verifying that I was either very brave or very foolhardy.

I then hiked to Delicate Arch. The hike was tough; I don't remember the numbers, but it was all uphill and took about 3 hours round trip under the desert sun with no shade. But the destination was worth it; if you look closely, you can see me standing below the arch.

1 comment:

Big Wall Nuts said...

I think you're very brave! You look like you're standing under a pair of pink trousers. Be careful there.

We're in UT now, hopefully we'll see some of the cool things you did. I hope we find a U-PICK-FRUIT too.