Friday, July 20, 2007

Q&A Friday!

Here are a few random things I've been asked before and during my trip. As always, thanks for reading, and thanks all your questions and comments so far!

Q: Where do you sleep?
A: As of today, I have spent eight nights in a motel, seven nights camping in a tent, seven nights sleeping in my car, and two nights at Mayor Mike's in Seattle. At the start of the trip, I was hoping for an even split of motel/tent/car nights, and so far so good.

Q: How much have you spent on gas?
A: Probably a bit more than I expected to. About 9,500 miles so far, about 25 MPG, average gas prices around $3.25. The rest of the math is left as an exercise for the reader.

Q: Have you done laundry yet?
A: I did laundry at Mayor Mike's, and other than that, I haven't needed to (though I probably will soon).

Q: Do you find anything cool in the geocaches?
A: Not usually. Most of the fun comes from the hunt, and discovering a well hidden cache. Also, I often see deer and other interesting animals and sights while geocaching, as it takes me places I would not normally go.

Q: What music are you listening to?
A: Before I started, I found that there were over 1,200 songs on my iPod that had either never been played, or only played once. I made a playlist of these, and I remove songs from it after they've been played more than once. I also play an occasional Pink Floyd album front to back.

Q: What do you think about while hiking?
A: Depends! On a strenuous, rocky hike, I'm usually just thinking about where to step next. On an easier hike, I'm taking in more of my surroundings, sometimes thinking of what to blog, sometimes thinking of stories to write (e.g., Salem Sue), and sometimes even thinking about spending time with friends back home (e.g., you).
In Death Valley, I was thinking about dying from heat stroke, while I was dying from heat stroke.

Q: What are you going to do when you get back?
A: Hopefully something that doesn't involve living in a cube. Spending time with friends, for one! Some other possibilities that come to mind: coaching volleyball, going to cooking school, going to grad school, teaching, getting back into music, playing poker professionally, going on another vacation. IT contracting for an insurance company if I get really desperate.

Q: Which state has the worst drivers?
A: I assume you mean other than Massachusetts? Ohio was pretty bad, but then I got to Washington. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but Seattle drivers are even dumber (though considerably less aggressive) than Boston drivers.

Q: Are you going to post any naked pics?
A: Huh?

Q: Have you ever shot someone just to watch him die?
A: Not on this trip. But I did give a trucker the finger once.

3 comments:

Brian said...

You should have your own show on NPR that involves you traveling around the country and talking about it. :)

Big Wall Nuts said...

When will you be in Colorado? What are your plans?

Brian said...

Plans? What are those?

Seriously, I don't have my map in front of me, but I think I'll be crossing the border into CO either tonight or tomorrow.