Monday, July 16, 2007

Crater Lake, Redwood, and Lassen Volcanic

Man, I'm so far behind. And I have three non-content blogs to write later as well.

Crater Lake National Park
I got to Crater Lake in southern Oregon a few hours before the sun went down. I drove around the rim, taking pictures in the twilight, and then drove to a campsite, which was full. Bummer. Drove down to the pinnacles, which are eerie volcanic spires protruding from cliff walls. Drove back to the rim and found a spot to watch the sunset. The horizon was cloudy, so the sunset was unspectacular.

In the morning, I hiked down the only trail that actually leads to the water. It's very steep-- according to the park map it is the equivalent of 65 flights of stairs. Those of you who used to climb up to T22 with me in the Tower Building can appreciate that this is like doing that three times! The water at the bottom is literally crystal clear, and even in the poor light I could see the bottom, about thirty feet deep. Normal visibility in the lake is over 150 feet!

Redwood National Park
Not much going on at Redwood, on the northern California coast. The main draw is obviously the redwood trees, which certainly are impressive, and for that matter, humbling. They are also a good deal smaller than the sequoias, which I expect to see later in this trip. Nevertheless, it is awe-inspiring to walk among them, and to touch something that is almost two thousand years old and still living.

I did get to see a herd of elk, but they were far away and my pics are not well focused, as I took them by holding my camera up to my binoculars.

Lassen Volcanic National Park
Ever hear of Lassen Volcanic? Me neither, but it's the site of a 1915 volcanic eruption in northern California. I did a morning hike to a lake, and then drove down to where the geothermal activity was still taking place. It's like a baby Yellowstone, with bubbling mud, boiling springs, steaming fumaroles, , and that wonderful sulfur stench all on a smaller scale (except for the stench, which was full scale.) Then I sat for 30 minutes in construction traffic, which gave me time to type up most of today's blog entry.

Next stop would be Yosemite, but I found that I'm actually fairly close to Reno, Nevada, so I'm on my way there to check out the poker games.

3 comments:

ScottyC said...

I have to say, you sure have found much of the beauty American as to offer.

Elizabeth said...

what about burning man?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Man
I can't tell if there is anything there now - but from google earth, I was drawn to the strange features that you could see in the satellite image... wrong direction from Reno relative to Yosemite... of course it looks like the actual event is not for a couple months - and that could be fun - "Clothing Optional"
Maybe after you go to Napa Valley and get some wine worthy of stopping a would-be mugger!

John de Raismes, Jr. said...

"quick" suggestion for Yosemite, hike the Yosemite Falls trail to Yosemite point. You get a few good vantage points. There is a small turn out about 1/3 way up on your right (down hill side) that gives a great view of the falls head on. At the top, there is a trail descent to a ledge that is maybe 100-200 feet away from the falls, and about 2500' above the valley floor. At Yosemite Point (which is past the falls) you can look down at Lost Arrow and possibly see people climbing up, and you get great views of Half Dome and Little Yosemite from there.