Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mount Rainier

I got to Mount Rainier National Park at dusk, and found an open campsite in the southeast corner. I then made a campfire for the first time, not because I needed one, but because I could.

The campsite was rather dark under a forest canopy, and I slept in a bit this morning as a result. Fortunately, I had just passed through a time zone change, so it was still "early" when I awoke.

I passed the Reflection Lakes (pic) on the way to the day's challenge: climbing the Skyview trail to the Panorama viewpoint.

The Skyview trail is a loop that ascends for about 2 miles and then descends for about 2 miles. The climb is steep, rather snow-covered (though it's 85 degrees!?), and is at several points guarded by marmots. Amazingly, at the top you can clearly see Mount Saint Helens, about 50 miles away. That's it, over my head:

Later, while driving through the park, I saw a sign for Narada Falls. Now, at this point, I've seen so many waterfalls in Yellowstone and Glacier that I'm getting a little tired of them. Nevertheless, I dutifully turn in to check it out. The result? About the most refreshing, icy mountain mist possible from the waterfall base, along with this view:

I think I'll continue to stop for waterfalls.

No comments: