Thursday, July 19, 2007

Death Valley

Not only was I disappointed after Yosemite, I was worried that the National Park mystique had worn off. Maybe it was too many, too soon, and I was becoming jaded to the natural beauty and daily discoveries.

In addition, the post-Yosemite route I had drawn turned out to be impossible, as there is no (good) way to see King's Canyon, Sequoia, Joshua Tree, and Death Valley National Parks in one road trip. So I decided I might as well start the trek back east, starting by going through Death Valley.

I thought Death Valley was stunning. And aptly named! It was 110 degrees when I arrived in late morning, and getting hotter. I hiked the sand dunes for about 35 minutes, getting a massive suntan and probably approaching heat stroke. I've never felt heat like this before. Oddly enough, it feels like you don't sweat-- I didn't realize right away that that's because the sweat instantly evaporates in the dry wind. And speaking of wind, don't expect it to cool you off! At 110 degrees, the wind cools you off as well as a convection oven cools off a turkey.

A few hours later, I hiked the guided trail at Golden Canyon. This was only a 2 mile hike round trip, and I honestly had fears of succumbing to the sun and heat toward the end. The camera in my pocket was hot to the touch, and I could have brewed coffee with the water remaining in my water bottle. I find it so amazing that the early pioneers made it through this place at all, in horse drawn wagons, with no potable water for 100 miles. Maybe they traveled at night, when the summer temperature often drops to a frigid 100 degrees.



Beach volleyball, anyone???

Looks like Grand Canyon is next!

5 comments:

Big Wall Nuts said...

Too bad J-Tree's not on the list. We'll be in Boulder until the 24th and after that we're heading into Utah. Planning on hitting Arches NP, Dinosaur NM, or Rocky Mtn again on our way out to Salt Lake. Not sure exact itinerary yet. What are your plans (if any :) ?

Big Wall Nuts said...

Black Canyon of the Gunnison might be on our list too...

Elizabeth said...

So, if Yosimite was crowded and annoying - won't the Grand Canyon be unbelievably crowded... I thougtht it was the poster child for over-crowded National Parks... Maybe that $20 or $50 overlook that the Indian Tribe just opened to make money with the glass bottom bridge thing, won't be too crowded...

Tom said...

Be sure you don't step in the Crack o'Ankle Breaking or fall into the Pit of Despair!

Mayor Mike said...

Brian, just thought I'd let you know that Twisted Misters won the VH1 Pop Culture championship. Of course, the Asian guy led the way...